
I recently completed working on a new Animated Feature Film called The Secret of Kells.
It was produced by an Animation Studio called Cartoon Saloon which is based in Ireland.
My role during this production was that of Artistic Supervisor of the Clean-up department.
The style of this film was a particular challenge to the Clean-up department and it was my responsibility to ensure that the specific character designs, which were extremely important to the overall look of the film, were maintained throughout the production.
To help the Clean-up crew understand the specific design rules for each of the characters, I created a Clean-up Bible.
As we had an international clean-up crew working on this particular film, I tried to explain the various design rules as visually as possible and try to reduce any possible translation errors.
The style of this film was a particular challenge to the Clean-up department and it was my responsibility to ensure that the specific character designs, which were extremely important to the overall look of the film, were maintained throughout the production.
To help the Clean-up crew understand the specific design rules for each of the characters, I created a Clean-up Bible.
As we had an international clean-up crew working on this particular film, I tried to explain the various design rules as visually as possible and try to reduce any possible translation errors.
The following pages are samples from this Clean-up Bible.
(CLICK ON IMAGES TO ENLARGE)







During production, it was also my responsibility to create the Clean-up Model Sheets for all of the characters. Here are some samples of the final Clean-up Designs.



























Excellent work Martin! Smooth styling.
ReplyDeleteNice portfolio you have going on here. Seeing how you designed some of the hands (in various illustrations) has helped me with with some hand issues.
Martin.
ReplyDeleteI want to say i am so very amazed with the secret of kells work you have here. Its soooo great to see some very VERY strong classical animation in production. I adore the original style. YEAH its not Disney! YEAH its original! My co worker and I, at Nitrogen Studios in Canada (our Director/Owner is from Ireland, Greg Tiernan), were admiring the drawings. We both agreed the clean up on these is very impressive. Such beautiful linework.
So, keep it up. Animation needs you!
Can't wait to see this movie!!! Great clean up man awesome line work!!!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the positive comments. From a design perspective, it was a very interesting film to work on. There were a lot of challenges that had to be dealt with, but I think we got there in the end.
ReplyDeleteI hope you all get a chance to see it.